Life and writings in a prison in Costa Rica

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Brad`s story

Abruptly my transfer papers arrived for the senior citizen reformatory, aptly called " adulto Mayor". Collecting my belongings, i said numerous goodbyes to my friends. The penal Godfather owed me money and he handed me a sausage shaped packagewrapped in tape ready for insertion. I believed this to be a wad of cash. I dismantled the package and discovered about 2 ozs of weed! Remembering my situation, i discarded the dangerous bundle. Then the officials came for me and i was off to a new jailhouse.
Costa Rica provides special habitation for Senior citizens. the first thing i observed was an idleness of older men almost in a state of repose, lounging around on foot or wheelchairs as they conclude life repenting their various transgressions.
Inside the office they opened my luggage and in full view of everyone, there lay a marijuana cigarette!
Horrified into a state of mental derangement, my knees buckled as the room revolved. What! How! this is impossible! Closer inspection revealed rolling papers also. This is not happening to me, but the contraband is very real. I try to hold on to my sanity as a drug sniffing dog appeared. The trainer instructed this joyous hound to inspect me and my belongings. The canine performed with his tail wagging almost to disconnection. He stuck his nose p my ass and would certainly have discovered the dope i almost had carried. Not carrying it spared me an additional 8 years here.
Every life holds moments when reality merges with infinity. I have smoked every joint i have ever rolled, then i always ate the roach. So how could i ignore a joint in my bag? how could i have left it there along with rolling papers? Did i deliberately place myself in jeopardy? do i have an unconscious desire to miscarry existence? This all flashed through my brain as the officials wrote me a violation for possession of drugs and paraphernalia. Like i said this is unreal!
The calamity f these events weighed me down. They assigned me a bunk inside a reasonable dormitory full of old men. Still frightened of what could happen next i tried to compose myself and think. short time later i was called, for a phone call.
This was one of my ex-mates from Puntarenas, inquiring about my health, we chatted. The trip was uncomfortable, the place appears clean and quiet, without the mischevious kids playing grab-ass. He asked " did i have a problem with the dogs?" No nothing much i said... then i was thunderstruck by the idea: He knew about the dogs! The dogs! he knew of the dope-sniffing dogs!i ended the conversation, and hung up.
This was inconceivable, this was real. I was set up. Yhe entire episode makes perfect sense now. My "friends" wanted me back, they wanted me to remain in prison. I was a good customer, a good cell mate, sharing the bounty when i had it... They placed the joint in plain sight knowing the dogs would be called... i am losing faith in humanity outside of close family.
we will see what happens.

No comments: