Life and writings in a prison in Costa Rica

Thursday, April 19, 2007

another letter

20 march 2007
My new barracks are for prisoners who seem to have done more than half of their time. My new cellmates, mostly sex offenders, do menial labor on the prison grounds. Cooks, dishwashers, gardeners etc. I first i believed i would have the freedom of the yard during the day.No, only on sundays, and wednesdays can i promenade to the football field. During the working hours i am left alone in solitude at the barracks, and that is a GIGANTIC plus! I have served the majority of the time i will be here, just like my shipmates. Some of them have been inside a very long time, fat old balding men, they look like senior business executives. These men are somber and beaten. Their families have long deserted them. An occasional mother comes to visit, but that's it. It is so much more tranquil here without the constant grab-ass, the quick tempers of the younger people who just started their time.
I am also different. After the loss of "senor citizen quarters" I have lost interest in others. I do not want to know these new people, these criminals. I have ignored the friendship overtures except maybe this one elderly gentleman who makes guitars. He gives concerts on visitors day, i really want to get down and jam with him, but this place is different. I know now that half of 5 years is 2 years and 6 months. It will be november and that's final. I will do it, i will survive. I have arranged a visit to the dentist and to the eye doctor. My only problem is i'm out of marijuana. Now that's a real Problem.

No comments: