Life and writings in a prison in Costa Rica

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bradley´s story

january 29, 2008
Went to court this morning. they told me last night of the long awaited appearance day. I showered, shaved, laid out my courtroom wardrobe, then got to bed knowing sleep would never come. I rehearsed my speech, contritely denoucing my stupidity in believing i could get around an effective system, that was specially made for imbeciles like me. I have lost everything. How could i have been so blind? and suddenly it was morning, i faced the day with hope, and a bit of arrogance.
After breakfast i entered the police van WITHOUT HANDCUFFS! this was a good sign. we picked up other prisomers along the way, one was wearing hand and leg restraints. His unfocused eyes told a story of drugs, and a serious conflict with reality. It has been a long time since i smoked a joint, but i wondered... did i ever look like that?
The courtroom was like a sleepy large legal office, which came to life when i entered. My attorney opened the proceedings explaining the need for an interpreter. The female judge picked up a phone and spoke to someone. and the judge said there was no interpreter available, the assembly is adjourned, see you next time. SHIT, i came this close...
During the return trip to Adulto Mayor i tried to stay hopeful and keep my positive attitude. when is the next court date? and when i got back inside i saw this was the day chosen to spray for roaches. Everything i owned was under a cloud of fog. It is still a beautiful day, whatever happens.

No comments: