Life and writings in a prison in Costa Rica

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bradley's story

march 3rd, 2008
This morning i wnet to court, again. I dressed and shaved carefully, put on my clean white shirt. Arrangements had been made in advance for the interpreter, so i really expected somethinbg to happen. I entered the courtroom with hope and aspirations. An intense looking judge came in, sat down, looked thru all the papers and said " all is in order. Schedule the family where he will live to be in the courtroom on march 24th." a Bang with her gravel, a hard look at me and she got up and left. WAS THAT ALL?
Bewildered i retreated back to the old man´s jailtrying to understand the mystery of the Costa Rican legal system. They could have told me that when i was here in january, it would have been so easy to arrange. I lost 2 months for... nothing.
Now the hardest part. call her, tell someone i love that it is not for today.
I Costa Rica i have learned and absorbed the meaning of love. It is so much more than desire, than yearning or longing. And today i have no choice but to call her and give her the bad news.
She took it well, she did her best to disguise her pain with a few choice comments on the costa rican justice. She attempted to laugh it off, but we both felt despair setting in.
She called me back the next day, to tell me she and her sister had decided to be here at the hearing, on the 24th. I could only cry with relief, with joy at the idea of seeing my daughters again.

Prison love story.
This couple had been married for 37 years. he was 69 years old, she was 65. He strangled her with a knotted rope, and turned himself in. He took 20 years. All he talks about is his relief that he will never ever hear that woman´s voice again. Till death do us part!

No comments: